Tuesday, February 19, 2008

From my Point of View - Book Review

Last week I finished The Crazy School by Cornelia Read. The Crazy School is an institution in Massachusetts where parents with 'disturbed' teens send their children when all else has failed, that is, if they can afford it. But what are they really sending their children to? The school does have a real name, it's the Santangelo Academy, named for it's founder David Santangelo. Santangelo has come up with a bunch of very strange methods for handling the students, as well as teachers (who, oddly enough, seem to have just as many and, in some cases, more problems than their students) at his academy.

Madeline Dare, a new teacher for the fall semester, quickly became disillusioned with the methods 'Dr.' Santangelo chose to employ. As she tries to help her students, she struggles with who she can trust in the strange society Santangelo has established. In the end, all of her best efforts only get her tossed right into the middle of a murder investigation where she is the obvious suspect.

While this was not a book I'd put on my list of favorites, I did enjoy it. It was a fun story with real characters (as scary as that is to say). Read did a really great job at bring her characters to life.

I don't think I could recommend this one as easily as I do some others, but if you like books about boarding schools, teenagers with problems and adults (a few teachers, in this case) who want to help them, or slightly maniacal killers, you ought to at least take a look. You can even read a sample chapter online.

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Cornelia Read said...

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your write-up of THE CRAZY SCHOOL. It's a very dark story, at times, and the language can be quite profane (reader caveat!).

But the best thing for me about having it published is how many former students of the school this is based on have gotten in touch with me. It's good to know that I have their backing for what I tried to show actually happened to the real school's students.

A number of them have bought copies for their parents, as corroboration of their own tales of the abuse on campus.

Thanks again,

Cornelia