Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What is Your Library Worth to You?

I recently got an e-mail about something a library in Maine has on their website. It is a calculator to estimate the value a library is to you. Now when I say you, I really mean it. You put in your usage of various services available at libraries. The calculator asks you to enter values for a month's usage, but you could put in values for a year if you can estimate a year's usage. I put in usage values that were very modest, for the amount I use library services, to give me a monthly average on the value of my library. I estimated what I used during a slow reading month - not anyone else's usage in my family, just me. The calculator came up with a$243 value per month. Times that by twelve and -

My library is worth $2916 per year - MINIMUM!

I know sometimes I use library materials and services a lot more than what is reflected in the numbers I entered into the formula.

How much is your library worth to you?

Plug it into the calculator
and let us know by posting a comment.

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! $993.00 a month and I thought I was being conservative!