Thursday, February 4, 2010

How do YOU read?


I was reading the Deseret News during my lunch break today and noticed that they have a column called How do you read? It advertises the newspaper and how people use it in their lives. I think this is an awesome way for the public to let the paper know what parts of the paper they read first and what sections they check regularly. The woman featured in the column I read always reads the paper while sipping her liver cleanse tea. Okay, so maybe that is a little TMI(too much information) but I really like the premise.

It would be fun to catch our patrons as they read a library book and see how, where and what they are reading. Although this could also lead to a TMI moment. For example, I did catch my husband in the bathtub with a library book. I said to him, "I am going to pretend that I don't see that!"

Like many people my favorite place to read is in bed. On a cold winter day (or night), just give me a good book, a warm blanket and a couple of pillows to prop my head on. Awww...paradise found.
When I give tours to the preschools in the area, we always talk about good places to read. But we also talk about places that are not a good choice for books. So read in bed, read at school, read in your favorite chair. But keep your library books away from your dog or bird, don't read in the bathtub or at the swimming pool. Keep it neat and avoid food when reading a library book. Use a book mark and turn pages from the corner to avoid tearing the pages. Please don't censor, delete or deface our books and never, ever, ever repair a library book. If you wonder why we ask this one, we could show you our no-no box, which is filled with patron repairs using duct tape, industrial staples, and the like.

...and if you must read in the bathtub, stick to the Deseret News.

Michele, Children's Librarian

No comments: