Friday, January 28, 2011

2011 Debut Author Challenge

Well, I started off with a fizzle. I was going to read "Halo"by Alexandra Adornetto, but was reminded , very kindly, that it is a 2010 book. Oh, well, it hasn't been returned yet anyway.

Therefore, I chose to read "Head Games" by Keri Mikulski. I was very pleasantly surprised. First let me say, I am not a sporty person and was discouraged from being so at a young age. (Ok, I'm pretty clumsy.) But I connected with the main character, Taylor, right away. She's insecure due to her height, an excellent basketball player and she's never been kissed. She does not just play basketball: she tutors, she is helping her friend with a fashion show, she has college scout coming to her next game, she is flirted with by her dream guy who happens to be the ex-boyfriend of a teammate and Kylie is not ready to give him up...no wonder she's stressed. She is also stressed at home but these stresses are due to misunderstandings. Taylor and I learned a lot throughout this book and I hope "Head Games" will be the next favorite of a lot of young people. Good work, Keri!

Next on my list? "Unearthly" by Cynthia Hand.

"A moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart." from inside the front cover.

Can't wait to get started!

Connie

No comments: