Thursday, April 12, 2012

Story time Review

We welcomed spring with a celebration of Ladybugs and all things creepy and crawly. I know that last week I said that we were doing a bird theme for story time this week but the prep work on that lesson was considerable and we were extremely short staffed on Monday when I was trying to prep for our classes, so I opted for swaping Ladybugs for birds and we will do the bird lesson later.

We read The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle, Ladybug on the Move by Richad Fowler, More Bugs in Boxes by David A. Carter, On My Leaf by Sara Gillingham, and Ladybugs Red Fiery and Bright by Mia Posada. We sang Shoo Fly Don't Bother Me from the Dancing Feet CD by Carole Peterson and played a guessing game where a ladybug was hiding under a colored flower and the children had to call to the ladybug and ask "Ladybug, Ladybug Where are you? Are you under the pink [or blue or purple] flower?"  I had hidden other types of bugs under some flowers to surprise them. The older class also played a matching game with die-cut paper bugs. They would draw a bug out of my basket and have to place it in the correct baggie with the same colored bugs. We also played a following the leader game which gave the children opportunity to be the leader and think of an action they wanted everyone to do. In one class every single leader wanted us to jump up and down! We were very tired at the end.

We created a ladybug puppet with some black and red die-cut shapes and a folded paper plate. They were very easy for the kids to put together and turned out very cute.

Next week I will try a theme I haven't done before. Since it is Earth Day on April 22nd we are going to try an Earth Day/Conservation theme. This might be far above the 2 years olds heads but I think that they will enjoy the simple stories I have chosen. We shall see how it goes.

Michele, Children's Librarian

No comments: