Thursday, November 15, 2012

Story Time Review

This week we did our Nursery Rhyme theme with our Story Time classes. We read My First Mother Goose: Humpty Dumpty Story Rhymes editor Laura Gates Galvin, The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster by David Conway, One Two Buckle My Shoe by Jane Cabrera, and Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker. We used the flannel board to do the rhymes Baa, Baa Black Sheep and 5 Humpty Dumpties. We sang the song This Old Man and I'm a Little Teapot.

We talked about the rhyme Jack Be Nimble and what a candlestick is. Then I brought out a candlestick and we practiced jumping over it. To make the activity more diverse I also had a collection of things besides a candle that would fit on top of the candlestick, such as an apple, a top, a pine cone, a giant plastic bug. We jumped those too. I used an old pie tin that I had covered with felt that was cut out like a pie crust. Inside I placed a string of cut out black birds and we recited Sing a Song of Sixpence and when the part about the birds came I pulled out the string of black birds one by one.

For our craft, we made a jumping Jack Be Nimble puppet. We colored a picture of Jack and a candle. We glued the candle to the outside of a paper cup and taped a Popsicle stick to the back of Jack. We pushed the stick through the bottom of the cup and he became a puppet that could  hide inside the cup then "jump up" when we recited the rhyme.

Next week: Turkeys
Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian

No comments: