Thursday, December 13, 2012

Story Time Review

Do you like cookies? That is the question I began our Story time classes with this week. Everyone likes cookies! So we read the following: The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone, Gingerbread Mouse by Kay Bratun, Mr. Cookie Baker by Monica Wellington, Gingerbread Friends by Jan Brett, Maisy Makes Gingerbread by Lucy Cousins and The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson. I had pulled the fun story The Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup but we didn't use it due to the lack of time. I do plan to read it on Thursday for our drop-in Reading Time.

We did a flannel board activity with the song Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar? and used the track Musical Spoons from the CD Hunk-ta-Bunk-ta Funsies. With the older kids we talked about what goes into a recipe for cookies. Mr. Cookie Baker had great pictures to show some ideas. For further exploration I had cut out some pictures of food, then as I held up each picture the children tried to decide if it would be good in a cookie. Yes to Gummy Bears, M&M's, Chocolate Chips, Marshmallows. No to Pizza, Fish, Broccoli, and Onions.

We created a gingerbread man to take home. I made a photo copy of a gingerbread man outline including the details. Then I gave the children chocolate chips for the eyes, gumdrops for the buttons, rickrack for the icing, bow tie pasta that I had colored with red food coloring for the bow tie, and a pipe cleaner for the mouth . Since the details were already on the picture it was easy, even for the two year old children.

Since we were working with candy, I promised the children if they would glue on the parts of the gingerbread man,  I would give them some additional candy at the end to eat. So they each received 1 gumdrop and 5 chocolate chips as a treat. I generally don't do food at Story time anymore since there has been such a problem with food allergies, but we made an exception this week.

Next week: Reindeer & Christmas
Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian



No comments: