Thursday, May 21, 2015

Searching them Middle Kingdom For Buried Treasure

Searching the Middle Kingdom For Buried Treasure

Sue Hill

4.5 Stars

May 21, 2015



I've read many memoirs, so was excited to see a new take in Huan Hsu's "The Porcelain Thief." I was drawn in from the very beginning and felt like I was parting with a good friend when the book ended. Hsu is a fabulous writer. I love his honesty and his bluntness when things don't go according to plan in China. And he weaves in Chinese history that makes it fascinating even for those who know how things turn out along the way. I found myself laughing, crying, and wanting to slam my fist down in frustration as he trekked through China in search of his great-great grandfather's lost porcelain. But there is so much more to his story than that. It's also a personal journey in search of identity and acceptance. He writes about many family members, so the family tree at the beginning is helpful. My favorite characters besides Hsu include his colorful uncles Richard and Lewis, along with his cousin Andrew. Huan Hsu's great-great grandfather would be very proud of this book.

No comments: