Tuesday, July 28, 2009

From My Point of View - Book Review

I've decided that I really like Louise Ure. I first read a book by her last year when The Fault Tree came out. When I started the book I wasn't sure I was going to like it - way too much car talk for me. But it didn't take long before I was hooked. So when her newest book arrived I had to read it too. Liars Anonymous had me from the first sentence - or paragraph. And no I'm not going to tell you what it was. If you want to find out you'll have to start reading the book, but it was a great start to the novel.

Liars Anonymous is about a woman, Jessie Dancing Gammage, who's trying to keep her head above water after being found not guilty at a murder trial three years before. She's dropped her old last name and moved to a new town to try to leave the past behind her. Alienated by most of her family, she doesn't find a any reason to return to Tucson until one day a phone call at work requires her to go back.

She's working for HandOn, a road side assistance company, as a telephone operator. One night a call came in after a client was rear-ended in the Tucson area. What started as a run-of-the-mill call about an accident ended by making Jessie the sole witness to what sounded like a brutal beating, perhaps even a murder.

When the police want her to drive to Tucson to go through the tape of the call to HandsOn she isn't exactly eager to return to the town she left behind three years before. But soon she is in Tucson in the middle of a case involving three new murders, a missing child, human trafficking, and in addition to all that the ghosts of her past return to haunt her.

Liars Anonymous was a great read - and fast too. Louise Ure writes a wonderful mystery and her settings are so real, you feel like you're out in the Arizona desert with Jessie. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a good mystery.

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Louise Ure said...

Elizabeth, I'm so glad you enjoyed Liars Anonymous. I liked that first paragraph too. It kind of sets the stage, don't you think?