Monday, February 14, 2011

2011 Debut Author Challenge


I just finished "Unearthly" by Cynthia Hand. I could not put it down, except to read my book group book, and even then I could hardly keep my hands off. This book has everything, a good plot, believable characters, unlikely friendships, forbidden love, truly evil bad angels (or demons), truly glorious good angels, adventure, danger... I can't even end the list.

I hope everyone picks this book up. I believe not only teens but adults will enjoy it. So many books are being compared to the Twilight series, but this book may be even better.

Clara is a Quartarius, part angel, she has been trained by her mother since she was 14 to prepare for the Purpose of her life. Now she is getting visions showing her a forest fire and an absurdly hot guy she is supposed to save. She, her brother Jeffery and her mother move to Jackson Hole where she meets Christian, who is so perfect he is like a god and as unattainable. And, yes, he is the guy! But Christian and Kay are in love. Clara also meets Wendy and Angela who become her best friends. Turns out Angela is also part angel, but her mom is not so she turns to Clara for information....so, really, who would name their angel daughter Angela? Wendy has a brother, Tucker, who Clara somehow keeps bumping into. I'm going to end there because I don't want to give anything away.

Do you believe in Angels? I do!

Next on my list is Choker by Elisabeth Woods. And then The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver.

I am having a lot of fun with these debut books. I would like to continue it every year!
Connie

No comments: