Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Update on the tax forms

If you think you might make it through life without having to do your taxes online, then you live in another place and time than the here and now. The State of Utah decided to go paperless this year so they did not send out forms or instruction booklets to anyone including the library.  If you want a paper copy, you'll need to print it yourself from the Internet.  Some people still haven't gotten this message.

The deadline for filing your taxes has been moved to Tuesday, April 17th because April 15th falls on a Sunday, and Emancipation Day, a holiday observed in the District of Columbia, falls this year on Monday, April 16th. According to federal law, District of Columbia holidays impact tax deadlines in the same way that federal holidays do; therefore, all taxpayers will have two extra days to file this year. Taxpayers requesting an extension will have until October 15th to file their 2012 tax returns.

If you need help doing your taxes and earn under $50,000 a year, there is no longer free help for you in Brigham City. Due to lack of volunteers, the VITA program is not coming to our area. If you want help, you will need to call 211 to schedule an appointment either in Logan or Ogden. I tried this number today and was on hold for a very long time. I also checked with H&R Block about their  advertisement for free help to anyone doing a 1040EZ and there are no strings attached to this service - they will help you for free.  However, it will cost $39 for the State electronic filing fee if you have them do that.

If you need information about what is new this year on the federal taxes, check out the IRS site at where they have a list of all the latest news. Remember that library employees are not trained tax preparers and we do not have the training to help you with your taxes.  We can help you get to Internet sites and print forms or direct you to a book, but we don't know the answer to tax questions.


No comments: