Thursday, November 28, 2013

Why America needs Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving---

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself...  Tecumseh
A friend of my daughter just returned from living in Ghana for 2 years as he served as a missionary. The stories of how life is there were incredible to hear. At one point he went 2 months without washing because the river dried up and the only water they had in the village was bottled water supplied by the red cross. Oh, how this story made me feel blessed to live where I have clean running water any time that I want just by turning on the tap.

I wake up in the morning in a warm bed in a warm home in a nice, safe neighborhood. I have light when I flip a switch. I open my refrigerator and find lots of nutritious and safe things to eat. I have a choice of many warm and comfortable clothes in my closet. I have a car to drive to work and a pleasant job to go to.  I have friends and family who nurture and help me. I have a strong body that is free from deformities, disease, and maladies. I have a beautiful grandchild, who reminds me of the joy life is. I have faith to sustain me during sad times. I have the power to help myself and others. I have the ability to read, write, learn and think. I have the right to vote, the right to free speech and the right to pursue happiness. I have sufficient for my needs and enough to give to others.

The trick to recognizing the blessing we have and being thankful, is to not become blind to the riches around us. If you have these same things that I have mentioned then you have more than 80% of the world population. When we become so complacent to the luxuries that we have at our fingertips that we forget that many do not have them, we run the risk of becoming ungrateful. I love Thanksgiving because it gives us a chance to pause and remember that despite our stress, our troubles and our worries we are indeed, blessed.  Let us not forget that, so that no fault will be found in us because of lack of thankfulness.  This is why Americans need Thanksgiving, we have so much to be thankful for.

God bless you and yours this Thanksgiving!
Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian

No comments: