Thursday, March 20, 2014

Story Time Review


Welcome back to Story time!
We had a great first week to our Spring session. We talked about farms and farm animals. We read, Say Hello! Like This by Mary Murphy, Flip Flap Farm by Axel Scheffler, Simms Taback's Farm Animals, Funny Farm by Mark Teague, Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown and Driving my Tractor with the CD by Jan Dobbins. It was fun to listen to the music that goes along with the story and we added 
some simple actions for the part of the
 story that goes, "Chug, Chug, Clank, Clank, Toot!"


We played a game with some of our animal puppets. I would like to be a...cow, goat, frog, pig, etc. Where would I live if I were a cow? What would I eat if I was a pig? How would I sound if I was a frog? It was fun to talk about the answers. Interestingly, I showed the monkey and asked where would I live? A little girl said, "The Zoo!" "That is true, but where else could I live?" I asked.  This stumped them! I guess they have never encountered a monkey in the wild, so this wasn't where they expected to find them.

We sang Old MacDonald and used a paper bag "barn" as a prop to put in different animals as we sang about them. At the end of class, we created a paper bag barn for each of the children to take home, so they could sing the song to their family. I gave each of the children a sheet of animals to color to put into the paper bag barn.

I showed the children some seeds and they tried to guess what kind of plant would grow from each seed. I had a large variety of sizes, from pumpkin to carrots. Many of the children wanted to touch the seeds to explore them that way. We discovered that pumpkin seeds are smooth and beet seeds are very bumpy and rough.

Next week: Pigs!
Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian

No comments: