Tuesday, March 1, 2016

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION COOKBOOK

DELICIOUS RECIPES TO HELP REDUCE BAD FATS AND LOWER CHOLESTEROL

Sue Hill

4 Stars

March 1, 2016

When I received this cookbook, the first thing I noticed was there were no pictures, which is kind of a letdown. I'm a visual person when it comes to cooking, and I use the pictures to gauge how I'm doing. That is really the only down side of this book for me. As for the recipes, there are plenty to choose from, ranging from every entree imaginable. The first recipe I tried was the Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas (page 230). It wasn't a difficult recipe to prepare and the ingredients were all readily available at my local supermarket. I'm used to having grilled chicken breast tucked inside my quesadillas, so the thought of having a purely vegetable one was kind of daunting, but it turned out really good. When you pair it with salsa and sour cream, the taste is even better.

Not just a recipe-book, this cookbook from the American Heart Association contains valuable information on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The opening chapter discusses how to choose food that is the most likely to promote health. The second chapters gives suggestions for a healthy lifestyle. Even if you don't follow all the suggestions, trying to use as many as possible will improve your health and lower your risk of heart disease and stroke.

The final chapters of the book contain suggestions for healthy shopping, cooking and stocking your pantry. There is also a chapter reviewing the science behind the recommendations. I like to know how recommendations for eating are derived. This gives easy to understand information.

No comments: