Thursday, November 14, 2013

Story Time Review

Who's Hungry for a Story?

This week for Story Time we read books about Food & Eating. We talked about how everybody eats, children, babies, grown-ups and even animals and pets. We read Eating by Liesbet Slegers, Sharing a Meal by Mary Auld, What do animals Eat for Lunch? by Kay Massey, One is a Feast for a Mouse by Judy Cox, Seven Hungry Babies by Candace Fleming and The Greedy Python by Eric Carle.

I made a craft foam cornucopia and some foam food to go inside and we talked about what things the children liked to eat and what kinds of things they would put inside a cornucopia.

I took an old pie tin and lined it with brown felt, I added some tan felt triangles to the edge of the top to be pie crusts then placed a string of black birds inside. I repeated the poem Sing a Song of Sixpence, when I got to the part about the pie being opened, I pulled out the string of birds one at a time. Then I used the same pie tin to do a fun activity with the children. I told them that we were going to make a pretend cherry pie. I gathered the kids into a circle and they chanted, "Cherry tree, cherry tree. We want some pie!" I acted as the cherry tree and dropped some red beads down on the floor. Each child had a paper cup to gather up some cherries. When they had some gathered up they dumped them into the pie tin. When all the cherries had been gathered and placed in the pie tin, we folded the top crusts up over the beads to create a completed pie. The kids in one class liked this activity so much we had to repeat it a couple more times.

For a great wiggle activity we used the egg shakers with the song, I know a Chicken by Laurie Berkner from the CD The Best of The Laurie Berkner Band.

We made our own cornucopia projects by water color painting a print out of some fall fruits and veggies and a cornucopia. When the paint was dry on the veggie page we cut them out and glued them inside the cornucopia.

 Our take home pages were a Thanksgiving Patterns page and a Complete the Picture page.

Next Week: Manners

Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian


No comments: