Thursday, November 21, 2013

Story Time Review

We are Thankful for Manners at Story Time!

This week we talked about manners in Story Time. We concentrated on using the words please and thank you, but covered things like excuse me, and your welcome as well. I hoped that this topic would tie in with Thanksgiving and using table manners.

We read the books Say Please by Tony Ross, Time to Say "Please"! by Mo Willems, Lion vs. Rabbit by Alex Latimer, Splat says Thank You! by Rob Scotton, Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes, The Thankful Book by Todd Parr and What do you Say Dear? by Sesyle Joslin.

What do you Say Dear? is a Caldecott Medal book but has a controversial page where a bad guy points a gun at a child. I sometimes worry about using this book because I worry that a parent will object, but I think the content is so good in the book that I usually end up using it despite the seeming political incorrectness.

We used the CD H.U.M All Year Long Highly Usable Music by Carole Peterson and played along with the song Please Pass the Peas. I used a small paper plate and some green pom poms for the "peas".

The book Lion vs. Rabbit is technically not about manners but is about a lion that bullies the other animals. I introduced the book with the premise, what happens when we don't use manners? and we are impolite or not nice to others?

Our craft was thanksgiving corn pictures, made with popcorn and crepe paper. Not really with the theme, but I was having trouble coming up with a manners themed craft.

Next week: Turkeys & Thanksgiving, of course!
Michele Schumann
Children's Librarian

No comments: